Snap! Devlog #1 Photography Evolved

Since a couple of years ago, I’ve wanted to develop a game inspired by Pokémon Snap (an on-rails photo capturing game).

I began the development of a prototype, last year, using Unity 4.x; however, I was using the old Unity UI system (OnGUI, plus other hacks) and things started to get messy. I also got busy with other projects and never continued this one… until now.

Several factors influenced my decision to pick up the project again: the release of the new Unity UI & Unity 5, and me working as a freelancer in 2015.

And so, on June 10, I restarted the development of Snap! (tentative title).

One of the biggest mistakes I made in the previous iteration of the project was trying to work without clearly defined goals and objectives, trying to build a complex game in a single try.

redisflat_mvp

Mentalized on not repeating the same mistakes from the past, I decided to embrace iterative development, adopted Scrum as my methodology and created a new Trello board; I’ll be writing more on that in a future post.

I’m still struggling with the planning of the milestones, trying to find the sweet spot in terms of goals and work that must be done. For example, each one of them requires a clear and brief description of what it’ll look like and what features need to be added.

As of the end of June, I’m working on the 3rd milestone; towards a minimum viable product. Everything is a placeholder and will continue as such for the foreseeable future; I’m focused on first ironing out the mechanics of the game, rather than its looks.

Regarding last year’s proof of concept, I managed to repurpose most of the codebase; the hard work was figuring out what needed to be updated and what refactored.

I’ll be talking more about Snap! and some of its design and technical challenges in future devlogs.

Until then, here’s a gif with a dreadful frame rate:

Snap milestone #3
Milestone #3

Leave a Reply